Watch movie “Machucha” (link can be provided) and write a 3 page paper responding to the following questions.
Include introduction paragraph. Each question can be its own paragraph. If use outside resources, cite in text and with MLA bibliography.
- Why did Allende’s democratic socialist revolution fail?
- How are race and ethnicity characterized in the film?
- In our primary sources we see both sides, a torturer and a guerrilla fighter. How do supporters of the dictatorship justify their actions? How do the guerrilla fighters justify their actions?
- How would you characterize the ending? What do you think it signifies?
- According to our film and primary source, “Confessions of a Torturer,” how did Pinochet and those who supported him justify the overthrow of President Allende and a democratically elected government?
- Why do you think race and ethnicity is so important in this community within the film?
- Allende’s presidency ultimately failed. Do you think this is because of external or internal forces? Both?
- Overall, how would you rate this film as an historical source?