As a current or future public administrator, you know that one of the most important approaches to research involves philosophical assumptions or the basic set of beliefs that guide actions. After a preliminary review of the literature on your topic, discuss your understanding of why the topic is important to study. This should lead to a final comment that includes your research problem statement.
For this week’s discussion question, perform the following tasks:
- Select and analyze one topic from the following list of research topics for a research project:
- Health care
- Homelessness in your community
- Quality of drinking water in your municipality
- Public transportation
- Municipal finance
- Lobbying by nonprofit organizations
- Evaluate and explain in detail the philosophical view, such as postpositivist, social constructivist, advocacy and participatory, or pragmatic, that you will use for the research project.
- Explain the rationale for selecting a research topic.
- Provide your research problem statement.