The history of correctional institutions is well documented. Correctional institutions (jails and prisons) house individuals who are awaiting trial and serving both short- and long-term sentences. Correctional officers are responsible for the monitoring, treatment, and supervision of individuals who have been found guilty by a court of law.
For this assignment, we will have you look at one of the most notorious prisons in the United States: San Quentin Correctional Facility. View the National Geographic Documentary The Most Notorious Prison San Quentin at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sncnLd_xBNc.
After viewing the video, download and use the Assignment 3 template to answer the following questions:
- Describe the main methods Correctional Officers’ staff use to maintain order and safety in the prison. Take a position on the effectiveness, risks, pros and cons, and ethics of these methods.
- Choose one (1) of the inmates profiled in this video and discuss their situation. Explain how they ended up in prison, the main issues they described facing, and the methods they use to cope with their time in prison.
- Discuss the effect you feel the presence of the active armed guards has on the violence level and overall safety within this prison.
- Describe the issue of isolation presented in this video and the effects connections and contact with outside visitors can have on the prisoners’ mental status.
- Identify at least two (2) issues inmates in gangs here uniquely face. Identify at least one (1) method of protecting inmate gangs against each of these identified issues.
- Take a position on how you believe conditions at San Quentin could be improved. Include at least two (2) specific actions that could be taken to improve conditions (e.g., security and safety, abuse and use of force, isolation, poor food quality, etc.). Provide a rationale for your position.